Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tempo Run – Dec 4, 2008

After the weekday long run in the evening yesterday, I went for another short tempo run for 5 miles in the evening. It was colder than yesterday but I was wearing my jacket for the run which helped a bit. I reached the trail at 5 pm when it was already getting dark. I decided to do a non stop 5 mile run and stop only if I am completely tired. After finishing the first mile in 8:25, I was feeling really good and did the next 1.5 mile's at the same pace. At this point, I turned around to come back to the starting point. I was a little tired but decided to do another mile before taking a break. After doing another mile, I felt better and skipped the break and finished the last 1.5 miles to finish the entire 5 miles non-stop. Although, it requires a bit more effort to run in the cold (it was 39F when I ran today), the advantage is that you don't sweat but you run the risk of not drinking enough fluids since you are not sweating. So, I make it a point to drink some Gatorade / water every mile and half. This will help you a lot especially in the long runs where you suddenly realize that you need fluids and run the risk of dehydration.

Here are the stats from the GPS:

Activity

Type

Activity

Type

Miles

Time (HH:MM:SS)

Avg. Pace (min/Mile)

Avg. Speed

Calories Burnt

Avg. Heart Rate

Morning

Morning

Evening

Evening

  

  

  

  

  

  

None

None

Running

Tempo Run

5:01

0:42:27

8:28

7.1

648

172

No comments: