Saturday, August 23, 2008

Strength Training and Biking – Aug-21-08

The day started at 6:30 with some strength training for an hour. I did the usual core strength, chess and shoulder routines. A bit of leg strengthening was also involved. One of my buddies from Asha wanted to do the biking at 7:30 am. I came home at 7:30 and took out my Trek and was off to the Campion trail to join him for the biking. The trail is about 2 miles from my house and the trail runs for 4.5 miles from end to end. We decided to do one round trip of the trail (9 miles) and back to my house. So, a total of 2 + 9 + 2 =13 miles. I did better than the 8.9 miles per hour average pace that I did on Aug-17. I ran 13.3 miles at an average speed of 14.2 miles an hour. Apparently, the best bikers do it at 30 miles an hour. So, 50% of the best is not bad for a beginner J The other important thing that I noticed in biking is that my average heart rate is below 140 where as in running, it is consistently above 160. This means that I have a lot of room to improve the speed in biking but since it is supposed to be cross training, I am not laying much emphasis on speed right now. Again, here are the stats from my Garmin.

Date

Day

Type

Miles

Time (HH:MM:SS)

Avg. Pace (min/Mile)

Avg. Speed

Calories Burnt

Avg. Heart Rate

21-Aug

Thu

Cycling

13.3

0:56:16

4:13

14.2

757

137

No comments: