Sunday, October 19, 2008

The 40 mile Cycling – Oct 19,2008


 

After a long run and a good upper body workout yesterday, I had a good night's sleep. I started the cycling at 7:45 am in the morning. It was the first day that I really felt the cold when I started the cycling. I reached the Campion trial after cycling for 2.5 miles on the road. The trail is a 4.5 mile stretch and I do one full non-stop round before breaking for water and wiping the sweat etc. I did the first round at 16.2 miles an hour which was better than last week. But the speed decreased to 16 mph for the second round. By the time I started the third round, it got windy and I was fighting the wind which reduced the speed. After finishing 29 miles, I was ready to give up since it was very windy and I was damn tired. I decided to give the last round a shot and to stop wherever I couldn't go further. As always, the first mile is the toughest and thereafter I just hunkered down and finished the last round in 15.2 mph.

Cycling is a good cross training workout to improve your leg strength. You burn the same number of calories doing cycling as you would in running (for the same amount of time). Moreover, the heart rate is much lower when you cycle. So, you get a similar work out with much less intensity.

Here are the stats from the GPS watch

Activity

Type

Activity

Type

Miles

Time (HH:MM:SS)

Avg. Pace (min/Mile)

Avg. Speed

Calories Burnt

Avg. Heart Rate

Morning

Morning

Evening

Evening

  

  

  

  

  

  

Cycling

Cycling

None

None

40.08

2:33:35

3:49

15.7

2110

136


 


 


 

No comments: