Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Long Run and 15K Race – Oct 4, 2008

We were supposed to do 16 miles today and I also registered for the DRC ( Dallas Running Club ) 15K race. We were going to be doing some miles before the race and then do the race as part of the 16 miles long run. Having led the more than 10 min group last week, I decided to run with the below 10 min group today. I reached the White rock lake at 6:30 am and picked up my bib for the race. We started for the 7 miles run before the race at 6:40 am. Surprisingly, I was able to keep pace with the group and was running at about 9:30/mile. I finished the 7 miles in 1:04:30. Then I took a 5 minute break before the race started.

We started the race at 8:05 am. I did the first mile in about 8 min. I realized this after I finished the first mile and by this time, I was really tired. I waited for about a minute to drink water after this and continued the race. I was walking for about 30 sec after every one mile and even then I was doing 9:00-9:30 min/mile. I finished the first 6 miles in about an hour (13 miles including the pre-race miles). At this point, I was really tired and slowed down 10 min/mile. I managed to finish the rest of the 3.5 miles in about 35 minutes. I was happy to finish the entire 16.5 miles today below 10 min which is my goal for the marathon ! Hope I should be able to keep this pace for 26.2 miles and be able to finish the marathon below 4hr 30 min. Once again, the "Gu" gel helped me keep going through out the race today. I had about 3 of them during the course of 16 miles. And after I came home, I rested the legs by putting in some ice into the bath tub and lying down for 15 minutes. That is a great remedy for your leg muscles.


 

Official 15K Race time from Dallas Running Club: 1:35:00

Here are the stats from the Forerunner.


Activity

Type

Activity

Type

Miles

Time (HH:MM:SS)

Avg. Pace (min/Mile)

Avg. Speed

Calories Burnt

Avg. Heart Rate

Morning

Morning

Evening

Evening

      

Running

Long Run

None

None

16.5

2:39:23

9:39

6.2

2111

160


 

No comments: