Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Longest Run So Far – 15 Miles – Sep 27, 2008



Today was the longest run that I have run in my life, 15 miles! Since I didn't do my long run last week, I was a little wary of doing 15 miles today. I was also going to ry the "Gu" gel packets to keep myself energized during the run. I woke up early at 5:30 am and had my coffee and Protein drink and reached the White Rock lake , carpooling with some fellow Asha Runners. I was not sure if I will be able to run faster. So, I just decided to run with the 10 min and over group. I downloaded a bunch of audio books yesterday and started listening to the "Freakonomics" book during the run. The pace was slow initially but there were about 5 or 6 girls who were doing faster than 10 min (In the entire group, we had about 4 or 5 guys and about 15 girls !) I started running with these girls but still felt that I was running well within myself. After about 3 miles, there was only one girl who was doing faster than 10 min pace. So, we just paired up and started doing a faster pace, between 9 – 9:30 per mile. I just breezed through the first 6 miles in about 59 minutes. Although, this is the pace that I usually do, this time I was not feeling tired after 6 miles. After about 7 miles, I took the "Gu" gel. At this point, the rest of the group caught up with us since the other girl took a restroom break. Myself and the girl just took off at the 7th mile, we were doing very good pace at about 9:00 min / mile for the next 2 miles. I realized that we had left the rest of group far behind. We did about 9:30 – 10:00 min /mile pace for the next 3 miles and finished 12 miles in about 2:00 hours (including the water breaks). After the next half mile, I was really tired and asked the girl to go ahead. I started walking for about 2 minutes and then started again. I finished the next 2 miles in about 21 minutes. I was really tired at this point and started taking a break after every half mile. I finished the last mile in about 12 minutes. I had also finished about 2 chapters of "Freakonomics" which included knowing about the Japanese mafia, crime rate in US, bagle business and a variety of other funny applications of Economics.

Since the other Asha folks were running the half marathon, they were doing only 8 miles today. They were waiting for me. So, I just went straight from the run to join the group without doing any post running stretches. We had a good breakfast at Einstein bros. I came back home, took a short nap and did the post running stretches. As suggested by one of the Asha runners, I put in a lot of ice in the bath tub with some cold water and cooled down the legs, knees and other joints for about 10 minutes. Then I cooled down the legs with some ice packs and wrote this blog after the Ice pack treatment J

As you can see from the Forerunner stats, I finished the 15 mile run at about 10:00 min / mile. I took some water breaks and some traffic interruptions for 7.30 minutes making this entire run (including the breaks) for about 10:30 min/mile.

Date

Day

Activity

Type

Miles

Time (HH:MM:SS)

Avg. Pace (min/Mile)

Avg. Speed

Calories Burnt

Avg. Heart Rate

27-Sep

Sat

Running

Long Run

15.12

2:32:04

10:03

6

1966

158

No comments: