Monday, September 29, 2008

Marathon Cycling – Sep 28, 2008

After doing my long run yesterday (15 miles), I slept for about 10 hours in the night but felt good in the morning albeit had some soreness in the leg. It was fine by the evening and I decided to do some cross training on my Trek Cycle. I started about 6:30pm and was doing about 15 miles / hour. I wanted to do only 20 miles but I was feeling really good after 20 miles and so decided to at least do a cycling marathon (>26 miles). It was really dark by the time I finished 23 miles but I managed to pull off 6 more miles in the darkness (although I don't recommend it to anyone!). I was not too exhausted even after 2 hours of cycling and it's a really good cross training exercise. One small trivia is that I tend to burn as many calories during 2 hours of cycling as I do in 2 hours of running. I have noticed that I tend to burn about 125 calories for any kind of cardio exercise (Elliptical / Cycling / Running / Stairs etc..) Looks like the body has a way of figuring out how much energy to use irrespective of the challenge you throw at it. Amazing..aint' it ! The other thing is that my cycling pace has also improved a bit and the heart rate is also coming down. Signs that my lungs/heart are improving! Here are the stats from my Forerunner. Note that you can change the settings on your GPS watch depending on the activity you are doing (running/ Cycling / Other Activities).

Date

Day

Activity

Type

Miles

Time (HH:MM:SS)

Avg. Pace (min/Mile)

Avg. Speed

Calories Burnt

Avg. Heart Rate

28-Sep-08

Sun

Cycling

Cycling

29.1

2:00:00

4:07

14.6

1525

131

No comments: